The Publications Board is chartered by the University of Oklahoma Board of Regents to govern student media at OU. It is the supervisor of the editor of OU Daily, and it advises Student Media on all its operations. The board is drawn from different constituencies within the OU community. Professional members serve three-year terms, and students serve one-year terms.
Publications Board charter
The Charter Governing Student Publications at OU is our governing document. It describes the relationship between the OU regents, the publications board and the staffs of OU Daily and OU Student Media.
Voting members of the Publications Board
- John Schmeltzer, chair of the board, Engleman/Livermore Professor in Community Journalism, representing the faculty of Gaylord College of Journalism & Mass Communications.
- David McLeod, associate professor in the Zarrow School of Social Work, representing Faculty Senate.
- Rachel Moore, MoneyCoach in the Division of Enrollment Management, representing Staff Senate.
- Ross Mehl, admissions specialist for OU Extended Campus, representing OU President Joseph Harroz Jr. from OU staff.
- Mark Millsap, publisher of The Norman Transcript, representing Oklahoma Press Association.
- Blake Douglas, student representing OU Daily news staff.
- Sara Mays, student representing President Harroz.
- Caroline Sparks, student representing Student Government Association.
- Sarah Wallaert, student representing Student Media advertising and marketing staff.
- Beth Wallis, student representing OU Daily features staff.
Nonvoting, ex-officio members of the Publications Board
- Ed Kelley, dean of Gaylord College.
- Nick Jungman, secretary of the board, director of Student Media.
- Heather Howard, manager of Student Media advertising & marketing.
- Seth Prince, editorial adviser of OU Daily.
- Jillian Taylor, editor of OU Daily.
Publications Board meetings
The Publications Board meets at least six times each academic year. Its meetings are open to the public, and each meeting features a public-access period for individuals who’d like to address the board.
Tentative meeting dates for 2021-22, all at 9:30 a.m. on the Norman campus, location to be determined:
- Sept. 17, 2021
- Oct. 15, 2021
- Nov. 19, 2021
- Feb. 18, 2022
- March 11, 2022
- April 15, 2022
- Sept. 25, 2020: agenda | minutes
- Oct. 16, 2020: agenda | minutes
- Nov. 20, 2020: agenda (meeting cancelled)
- Feb. 19, 2021: agenda | meeting materials | minutes
- March 26, 2021: agenda | meeting materials | minutes
- April 23, 2021: agenda | meeting materials | minutes
- May 7, 2021: agenda | meeting materials | minutes