The OU Daily was named a Crown finalist for the sixth consecutive year in results announced Tuesday by the Columbia Scholastic Press Association.
The Daily, the University of Oklahoma’s independent student news organization, was one of 11 news organizations cited in the hybrid news category. The honorees in the category are:
- Ball State Daily News / ballstatedailynews.com, Ball State University, Muncie, IN;
- Campus Times / lvcampustimes.org, University of La Verne, La Verne, CA;
- Indiana Daily Student / idsnews.com, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN;
- Marist Circle / maristcircle.com, Marist College, Poughkeepsie, NY;
- The Baylor Lariat / baylorlariat.com, Baylor University, Waco, TX;
- The Columbia Chronicle / columbiachronicle.com, Columbia College Chicago, Chicago, IL;
- The Daily Pennsylvanian / thedp.com, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA;
- The Ithacan / theithacan.org, Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY;
- The Oklahoma Daily / oudaily.com, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK;
- The Pitt News / pittnews.com, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA;
- The Rocket / theonlinerocket.com, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, PA.
Jordan Miller, who is now at the Salt Lake Tribune, was The Daily’s editor-in-chief supervising all the newsroom’s work for the period judged.
The Daily’s longest prior streak of consecutive Crown finalists, per available records, was five years (1996-2000).
Crown finalists are winners whose further distinction as to Gold or Silver crowns will be announced and presented in March 2022. The Crowns function as a “top-down” view of general excellence in the honored publications. The Daily has previously won 15 Gold and 10 Silver crowns.
According to the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, the judges were sensitive to the challenges COVID-19 raised to student publications. The judges read the membership profiles and learned of the obstacles and alternative tasks staffs chose to follow to publish their publications.
Crowns for magazines were announced Monday. The Daily’s Crimson Quarterly was named a Crown finalist in the print general magazine competition for the first time in its history.
Only two other schools beyond the University of Oklahoma had publications named Crown finalists in both hybrid news and general print magazine. Columbia College in Chicago earned the dual distinction for its Echo magazine and columbiachronicle.com. Marist College in Poughkeepsie, New York, did so for its Measure magazine and maristcircle.com.
Across all news and non-literary magazine categories, OU was one of just five universities to be honored in both. Beyond Columbia and Marist, the other two are Los Angeles City College for its Collegian Times (general print magazine) and Los Angeles Collegian (print newspaper) and Ball State University for its Ball Bearings (hybrid general magazine), Daily News (hybrid news) and Byte (digital general magazine).