- Everyone is responsible for ensuring we give readers accurate information.
- Reporters fact-check their stories before submission.
- Reporters provide source and contact information.
- Section editors ensure compliance and check sources.
- Copy editors are the final wall of defense to catch errors.
- We include multiple perspectives on controversial issues or explain why one is missing.
- We give sources adequate time to respond to requests for information.
- We deliver a comprehensive, inclusive news report that reflects our audience’s diversity.
- We make stories as complete as possible before publication.
- If information is unavailable, we explain why to readers.
- We follow up on developing stories to include information not initially available.
- We strive to include a minimum of three sources in all full stories.
- We know our audience and craft stories and photos with their interests in mind.
- Our duty is to make important news meaningful and relevant to readers.
- We seek out stories that affect our readers’ lives in meaningful ways.
- We avoid conflicts of interest and reveal to readers when perceived ones exist.
- We investigate any reported errors and publish corrections expediently when confirmed.
- We hold open editorial board meetings and encourage any interested parties to attend.
- We share with readers how and why we make important news decisions.
- We know trust – with our community, sources, one another – is the foundation of our work.
- We never misrepresent ourselves to others.
- We never fabricate information or plagiarize others’ work.
- We give credit where due.
- We avoid stereotyping.
- We give voice to the voiceless.
- We respect the privacy rights of ordinary people.