Students from The Daily earned 19 Gold Circle individual honors in the 2020 competition for work drawn from oudaily.com, The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine as presented by the Columbia Scholastic Press Association.
Final honorees in the print news and magazine categories were announced Wednesday; other categories had been announced earlier this year.
Our four 1st-place honorees are:
• Nick Hazelrigg for news writing for digital media for his story on OU employing a law firm to investigate the Boren era.
• George Stoia for sports news in print for his gamer from OU’s comeback at Baylor.
• Stoia for sports features in digital media for his series on the consequences of concussions in college football.
• Kayla Branch, Will Conover and Paxson Haws for podcast for their Lovers’ Lane true-crime series.
Our five 2nd-place honorees are:
• Stoia for personality profile in print for his deep dive on OU receiver CeeDee Lamb.
• Carly Orewiler and Will Conover for news magazine cover design for Hatred is systemic in Crimson Quarterly.
• Orewiler for Page One newspaper design for “This is a win for us.”
• Orewiler for sports page design for “Our house.”
• Caitlyn Epes for photo illustration for “Heisman House.”
Our five 3rd-place honorees are:
• Stoia for sports features for digital media for his profile of Maggie Nichols.
• Stoia for magazine non-fiction article for his profile of Maggie Nichols.
• Branch for in-depth news/feature story for digital media for her examination of OU’s financial picture.
• Orewiler for feature page design in print for “Ada fought for us.”
• Orewiler for her overall design portfolio.
And our five certificate of merit honorees are:
• Jana Hayes (Allen) for in-depth news/feature story in print for “It cannot be full consent.”
• Stoia for personality profile in digital media for “Kyler Murray’s circle of trust.”
• Will Conover, Christian Anderson, Xavier Turner and Janae Reeves for video feature package for “Out of Bounds, pre-gaming.”
• Jordan Miller for single spot news photo for digital media for an image of drama professor Tom Orr.
• Orewiler and Conover for cover design for a general or feature magazine for Hatred is systemic in Crimson Quarterly.